These vegan Twix bars are such a winner! One of the favourite sweet treats that I’ve made so far. The combination of coconut base and gooey date caramel inside gives it such a delicious taste, I could easily eat 5-6 of them at once! Plus they are super easy to make. I like to prepare a huge box and store them in the freezer because I like the caramel layer a bit more firm, but that’s up to your taste! I’ve been eating them for the past 2 weeks almost every day, as they go great with my afternoon cup of tea (or coffee). Now that I finished all of them (with the kind help of my boyfriend), it’s time to make another round! 🙂
- For the base:
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ⅛ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (or coconut cream)
- 1 Tbsp pure date syrup (alternatively use maple syrup)
For the caramel layer:
- 2 cups pitted dates (soaked in warm water for 1 hour)
- 2 Tbsp nut butter (almond or cashew)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 400gr dark chocolate (75%)
- 1 Tbsp of melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place all the ingredients for the base in a medium sized bowl and mix together. Make sure that the dough is sticky enough by pressing it together with your fingers. If it's too crumbly, add some more date/ maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Line a 24 cm baking tin with parchment paper and press the base dough inside until it is evenly spread (make sure to press it firmly and even it out, so it won't break apart). Bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place all ingredients for the caramel layer into a blender and mix for 3-5 minutes until combined. To help with the blending soak the dates in warm water for approx. 1 hour.
- Spread the caramel layer over the base and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut into small bars and coat with melted chocolate mixed together with the melted coconut oil. Set in the freezer to dry.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust.