I’ve been experimenting more and more with natural food coloring lately and this beautiful Rainbow Cream Roll is the newest addition to my rainbow series: Rainbow Pancakes + Rainbow Cheesecake . I’m not a fan of nasty artificial stuff and always try to keep my desserts as natural as possible and this beauty is no exception. Working with natural colors in baked goods is definitely more challenging than the artificial colors (not only in terms of color strength but as handling) but it’s totally doable! 🙂
Can you believe that this Rainbow Cream Roll is in fact all naturally colored with different superfood blends made from vegetable roots, fruit, spices, flowers and even algae (don’t worry you don’t actually taste them)? 😉 I’d go for the extra health boost and beautiful colors every single time before I’d buy any of those artificial supermarket food colors.
Lucky for us we don’t even need to start experimenting ourselves as the lovely folks over at Unicorn Superfoods have created the most amazing color blends! I’ve been using their superfood powders for so many things lately and love adding them to my smoothies, homemade plant milks and desserts, of course! If you haven’t heard of them until now – don’t panic – they ship internationally so just check out their Facebook & Instagram to see some more glorious creations!
For this Rainbow Cheesecake I have worked with 5 different superfood powders of theirs: berrylicious blend, tropicana blend, ocean blend, alkalizing blend and their pitaya powder! I could have even added another layer of red with their antioxidant blend if I wanted to get all the colors in! 🙂 Their powders are absolutely fabulous and such a fun way to experiment with plant-based colors while adding some extra vitamins to your creations!
I’m super eager to hear your thoughts on this Rainbow Cream Roll so if you decide to give this beauty a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk so I can share your remakes on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- Sponge cake:
- 1 cup + 5 Tbsp plant milk
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp UnicornSuperfoods Tropicana
- 1 tsp UnicornSuperfoods Alkalizing
- 1 tsp UnicornSuperfoods Ocean
- 1 tsp UnicornSuperfoods Berrylicious
- 1 tsp UnicornSuperfoods Pink Pitaya
- 1 15oz can coconut cream, chilled (firm part only)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- handful of strawberries
- Add the dry ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix. in a separate bowl, add 1 cup of the plant milk together with the remaining wet ingredients and combine with a spatula (be careful not to over mix).
- Once you have a smooth batter, divide amongst 5 small bowls. In 5 separate small bowls, add 1 Tbsp of plant milk each. Add about ½-1 tsp of the superfood blends to the milk and whisk until smooth and lump free.
- Pour the color mixes into each of the 5 small bowls with batter and carefully combine (again, do not over mix or the cake won't be fluffy).
- Fill each colored batter into a piping bag and preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Line a 36x25x2 cm baking tin with parchment paper and start piping equal lines of each color onto the sheet (see photo).
- Carefully bang the sheet a few times on a hard surface to even out the surface of the batter and place into the oven. Bake for 4-6 minutes and carefully watch not to burn the cake. When done, place the cake onto a cooling rack and let cool down completely.
- In the meantime, Prepare your strawberry cream. Combine all ingredients (except strawberries) in a bowl and whisk together. Add in the strawberries and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Place the cream on top of the cake and spread evenly. Carefully roll up the cake (see video) and place into the fridge for 2-3 hours. When ready to serve, dust with icing sugar and cut into slices.