I love matcha! I prepare a foamy matcha latte with almond or soy milk more or less every morning because I simply love the taste and energy kick it gives me. I was never a big coffee fan, so matcha is the perfect healthy alternative! These Matcha Donuts are so gorgeous! They’re not only 100% vegan, but super fluffy, beautiful and their sweetness perfectly balances the matcha flavor. You’ve all be hovering on my Instagram for the past week for me to publish the recipe for these beauties, so here ya go! 😉
In case you are looking for a completely gluten-free and oil-free recipe, try these babies and add some matcha in there: Vegan Donuts.
If you’ve never heard of or tried matcha before, it’s about time. Matcha is a finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves. It’s an excellent source of antioxidants. In fact, it has 137 times more antioxidants than brewed green tea! These antioxidants are very beneficial for the body.
Matcha contains natural chemical compounds to help fight colds and flu’s and strengthen the body’s defense against cell damage and also contains flavonoids that promote calmness and focus. In short, the perfect healthy coffee alternative!
My friends over at UnicornSuperfoods just came out with their new, organic Matcha blend and I’m so in love with it! I’ve found that matcha powders can vary quite a bit in intensity of flavor and integration into drinks. Some matcha powders will taste very bitter and stay grainy and not really dissolve that well in drink. Their new matcha blend, however, is the perfect combination of a fine and smooth powder and matcha taste! As I said, I use it on a daily and can’t recommend it enough.
I’ve been using their superfood blends for so many things lately and love adding them to my smoothies, homemade plant milks and desserts, of course! If you haven’t heard of them until now – don’t panic – they ship internationally so just check out their Facebook & Instagram to see some more glorious creations!
If you decide to give these Matcha Donuts a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 1 cup (128g) flour (I used spelt but you can sub with regular flour)
- ¼ cup (50g) coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp (7g) UnicornSuperfoods matcha powder
- 1 tsp (3g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (1.5g) baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup (177ml) plant milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- 2.5 Tbsp (35ml) coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (225g) powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp UnicornSuperfoods matcha powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and slightly grease a donut pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix together. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined (don't over mix).
- Spoon the batter into 6 donuts molds until ⅔ full and even out as much as possible on the top. Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
- For the glaze, add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Dip the top of each donut into the glaze and place on the wire rack for cooling. Dust with more matcha and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust. This is a great and easy way to support me, without spending extra money and I would be eternally grateful for your help!