As an absolute Asian food lover, Pad Thai has been one of the dishes I always wanted to try for myself at home. I experimented with different recipes, including all kinds of veggies and sauces, and was never really happy with the end result so far. But, after numerous attempts, I finally found a version that really excited me! It’s just the right amount of my favourite veggies and peanut butter in the sauce that makes it nicely fresh and creamy – perfect for my taste (not only because I love peanut butter)! 🙂
I have never been to Asia so far, so I’m only used to the ‘Western style’ Pad Thai that we find here, but in comparison to that, I’m really happy with the result. Maybe it’s just me, but I find it incredibly hard to recreate dishes at home that I eat in Asian restaurants, just because every single ingredient in it’s right amount is SO important and might change the whole taste of the dish. Anyways, I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do! I’m gonna experiment some more to go into another taste direction for the sauce (without peanut butter, because I know there are some people who don’t like it), but in the meantime I already wanted to share this recipe with you!
- 300g rice noodles
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil (or any other oil)
- ½ package tofu (optional)
- 1 Tbsp ginger, diced
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ cup warm water
- Sriracha sauce, to taste
- crushed peanuts
- sliced green onion
- First combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Set the sauce aside and heat the peanut oil (or any other) over medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Add the garlic and the sliced onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the red pepper, broccoli and carrots and let cook until you have the desired consistency (I like the veggies not too cooked, so it takes about 5-8 minutes).
- In the meantime, cook the rice noodles according to the description on the package.
- When they are done, add the noodles, the peanut butter sauce and the beansprouts and green onion to the pan and mix everything together.
- Let cook for another 1-2 minutes and serve right away, garnish with crushed peanuts and green onions.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust.