I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys, as healthy ‘cheeze’ recipes are one of my absolute favourites! 🙂 It’s no secret that lots of people find it hard to cut out dairy and especially cheese from their diet, partly due to its addictive features. That’s why I’m always thrilled about healthy and equally tasty alternatives. I know that the whole cheese debate is a big issue, and I’m not claiming that this cashew dill moxarella will taste exactly like dairy mozzarella, BUT it has its very own amazing taste, and I personally find it much better than any processed vegan cheese alternatives that you can buy in the supermarkets.
First of all, this moxarella is not only plant-based, dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and oil-free, but, since it’s based on cashews, it is also high in protein and extremely satisfying! So far I’ve been using it on pizzas only (I’ll soon upload a great pizza recipe – don’t worry), but it would also be great on grilled cheeze sandwiches, lasagna, etc. 🙂
Now the secret ingredient for the stretchy consistency is tapioca, a Brazilian starch extracted from cassava root. Since I couldn’t find tapioca flour at my local supermarkets, I just bought tapioca pearls and created my own flour by simply blending it up for a few minutes in my high-speed blender! So easy! 🙂
In case you can’t find tapioca pearls or tapioca flour anywhere, you can simply order it online! There are great brands available and they ship worldwide. Tapioca is pretty versatile and you can make yummy puddings or omelettes with it (I’ll also upload recipes for that soon)!
Another thing that’s great about this recipe is that you can basically modify it to your needs and taste buds. I added dill and several spices, as I find the combination really fitting and tasty, but feel free to get creative with all the herbs and spices you put inside. Or just keep it simple and plain and enjoy it without any herbs!
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- ⅛ cup tapioca flour (you can make your own by blending up tapioca pearls instead)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- dash of black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ cup fresh dill
- Place all the ingredients, except for the fresh dill, into a high speed blender and blend for 2-3 minutes. Once combined, add the fresh dill.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan over medium heat and stir frequently until clumps are forming.
- Continue stirring at all times until you get a stretchy consistency.
- Take the sauce pan off the heat and pour the mixture into a small plastic bowl (you can oil it first for an easier come out). Make sure to spread it evenly to get a pretty result.
- Place the bowl into the fridge for 1 hour or until it’s firm.
- Take the hardened up moxarella out of the bowl. Place upside down on a serving platter and enjoy!
- You can easily store the moxarella for a few days in an air tight container in the fridge!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust.
Recipe adapted from vedgedout.com – made changes according to my personal taste!
OSCAR LEGARRETA says
Thank you!! it is excellent!
Jessie Thompson says
Love love this recipe, it’s great in lasagna and pastas as well as a dip or with chips. My sweetheart will even eat it, and he’s pretty against vegan food!
Oh that’s amazing to hear! 🙂 SO happy!
The flavour is great but mine didn’t firm up quite enough. Is it because I didn’t cook it long enough?
That’d be my guess – the tapioca starch needs to be activated, so I’d recommend at least cooking it for 1 minute… when it gets difficult to stir it’s ready and can be transferred