It’s about time that I share my all-time favourite recipe with you! This vegan lasagna is the best and most tasty pasta dish I have eaten since going plant-based and I’m really proud of this creation! 🙂 When my boyfriend was out of the country I experimented a bit and surprised him with a healthy and plant-based version of his favourite dish and completely blew his mind. It was so good that we ended up eating the whole tray in one day and we both liked it so much that I made another tray of vegan lasagna on the next day! It is one of those dishes that fit every occasion, a casual Friday dinner, a birthday party or family reunion. And the best thing, it is completely oil-free and gluten-free! 🙂
Most of the vegan lasagna recipes that are out there include some sort of soy protein and highly processed vegan cheezes. If you’re following my blog and recipes for a while you probably know already that I’m not a huge fan of processed cheezes etc. and always try and find more healthy and natural alternatives. This is why I developed this recipe, combining a creamy cashew bechamel sauce with tons of sautéed veggies, homemade low-fat tomato sauce, corn pasta and my almond parmesan cheeze on top. It is so amazingly good that I become hungry just writing about it now! 🙂
When making this vegan lasagna I highly recommend using lasagne sheets that don’t require pre-cooking as it saves a lot of time and unnecessary efforts. I usually use the gluten-free sheets from Le Veneziane and I absolutely love them. One package lasts me for 2 big trays of lasagna and if you can’t find them in your local store, just order them online!
As always, please let me know what you think about this recipe in the comments! I’m really excited about this one because I put a lot of effort into developing it and I’m so happy about the end result. I just hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do! 🙂
- Cashew bechamel sauce:
- 1.5 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ⅓ cup water (more if needed)
- dash salt and pepper
Veggie tomato sauce:
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-8 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of spinach
- 2 carrots, peeled and chooped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 1.5 jars of canned tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato puree
- spices: oregano, basil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, paprika
- ¼ cup veggie broth
- Almond parmesan cheeze
- Prepare and cut all the vegetables as instructed.
- Heat a big pot with a bit of the veggie broth and sauté the chopped onions, together with the garlic until golden brown. Slowly add the rest of the cut veggies with the rest of the broth and the canned tomatoes. Add the tomato puree and spices and mix everything together (spices according to your taste). Let simmer until the veggies are cooked.
- In the meantime, prepare the cashew bechamel and almond parmesan cheeze (as instructed in recipe). For the cashew bechamel sauce, add all the ingredients into the blender and mix until smooth.
- Once the veggie tomato sauce is ready, pre heat the oven to 220°C and start layering the baking pan. First a layer of tomato sauce, then about 3 lasagne sheets, then bechamel sauce on top and repeat the steps until the tray is full (see video recipe).
- Finish with a layer of tomato sauce and sprinkle the almond parmesan cheeze on top.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust.