Are you already tired of pumpkin, squashed and root vegetables? I hope not, because I have an amazing new recipe for you! I bet everybody knows the traditional gnocchi, a sort of soft dough dumplings made out of potatoes and wheat flour, but have you ever tried pumpkin gnocchi? I tried pumpkin gnocchi for the first time over the weekend and I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with you guys immediately! 🙂 These pumpkin gnocchi are not only incredibly soft and gluten-free, but also made without any added oils. I paired the pumpkin gnocchi with a delicious creamy mushroom sauce and it’s SO good. The combination of soft and creamy always wins over my taste buds and hopefully yours, too! 🙂
I know that by now you have probably seen a million pumpkin recipes, but actually it’s the first one on my blog! 😉 I just love pumpkin/ squash season because they don’t only look pretty but are amazingly nutritious and yummy. Who doesn’t love pumpkin soups, pies, cakes, breads, and… well, gnocchi? 🙂 You can use pumpkin for so many different dishes and I will continue experimenting a few more weeks with it before I move on to the next vegetable in season.
Until then, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! If you do try these pumpkin gnocchi, let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s super helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing your recreations and adjustments. Cheers, friends!
- For the gnocchi:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (make you own by baking pumpkin in the oven for 30 minutes at 175°C and then blending it)
- 1- 1.5 cups rice flour (if not GF use normal wheat or spelt flour) - first add 1 cup and if it's still too sticky add in more flour (the amount will depend on if your pumpkin puree is watery or not) - the more flour you use the harder the gnocchi will get
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax meal + 3 Tbsp water)
- dash of salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 1.5 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour
- Prepare the flax egg and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the pumpkin puree with the flax egg and salt & pepper. Slowly add in 1 cup of flour and combine to a dough. If needed, add more flour (it shouldn't be too sticky, but easily kneadable and formable).
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and place them on a floured surface. Start rolling the first piece into a sausage like form and cut into small gnocchi pieces (about 1-2 cm long). Repeat this step with the rest of the dough.
- Bring a pot with water to a boil and form the small pieces with your hands into the desired gnocchi shape. Once boiling place the gnocchi inside the water and let cook until they float on the surface (this will take between 2-4 minutes).
- In the meantime, heat a non-sticking frying pan and place the onions inside. Add the veggie broth, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the spices, nutritional yeast and tomatoes and stir. Finally add the milk and tapioca flour and let cook until creamy.
- When the gnocchi are ready, immediately add them into the sauce and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add fresh cilantro and lime juice on top and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust.