Who doesn’t love caramel? While it’s usually just full of different kinds of refined sugars, there are great ways to create healthy caramel. Having said that, I present to you the latest member of the ‘The Tasty K – Sweet Treats Family’: the not-so-traditional Crunchy Caramel Slice! 🙂 Think about a fudgy chocolate base, followed by a delicious cream layer, a crunchy corn flake caramel middle, and topped with an ultra smooth chocolate frosting – drooling already? 😉And I haven’t even mentioned the best part about this treat yet (apart from that it’s freakin’ delicious). Can you believe that there is a full can of chickpeas and a whole avocado hidden in there? Let’s talk about healthy snacking!
As you might know, sneaking veggies into my dessert recipes is one of my absolute favorite things to do. You generally don’t taste them, they are great plant-based replacements aaaand you’re just getting that extra dose of nutrients while indulging – how great is that?
This one’s just one of those recipes that are great for every occasion. For yourself, a birthday celebration or a simple family reunion – it’s definitely a crowd pleaser! 🙂
It can keep for 3-4 days in the fridge and a few weeks in the freezer. In case you store it in the freezer, just make sure to let it defrost before cutting and serving. I’d highly recommend letting it defrost at room temperature and then leaving it in the fridge as the frosting melt more quickly than the other layers. Also, I’ve heard people telling me that the longer they store it the soggier the cornflakes layer gets, so for an extra crunch, feel free to substitute the cornflakes with buckwheat groats, pieces of your favorite nuts etc.!
Regarding the size, I usually use a 8″ x 8″ square brownie tin, but feel free to use a rectangular size or whatever you have at home.
If you decide to give this crunchy caramel slice a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup buckwheat groats
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 4 Tbsp date syrup
- ¾ cup coconut milk
Cashew Cream layer:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for min. 4 hours (or boiled for 10 minutes)
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup coconut milk
Caramel Crisp layer:
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 cups organic unsweetened corn flakes (for a crunchier feel make half cornflakes, half nut pieces/buckwheat groats)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup maple/date syrup
- ¼ - ⅓ cup coconut milk (for a smoother and 'milkier' result)
- Place all base ingredients into a high speed blender. Use the tamper tool to mash it down and blend until smooth (it's ok if there are a few whole pieces here and there).
- Line a brownie tin with parchment paper and place the base dough inside.
- Press down evenly with your fingers or a spoon. Wet your fingers with water if it's too sticky and place in the freezer.
- Add all cream layer ingredients into the blender and mix until smooth. Pour it over the chocolate base and place back into the freezer until firm.
- Once firm, prepare the caramel filling. Add the dates, nut butter and coconut milk into the blender until smooth and pour into a bowl. Add the corn flakes and mix together until combined.
- Place the caramel crunch layer on top of the cream layer and spread evenly. Place back into the freezer and prepare the frosting.
- Simply place all ingredients into the blender until smooth. Place on top of the caramel and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Place back into the freezer until firm and then place into the fridge. Let it thaw a bit before cutting.
For more delicious vegan desserts check out my new book ‘Healthy Sweets & Treats’: www.thetastyk.com/cookbook
Filled with 35+ wholesome recipes that are refined sugar-free, oil-free & mostly gluten-free!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust. This is a great and easy way to support me, without spending extra money and I would be eternally grateful for your help!