In an attempt to experiment more with vegan sushi options, I’ve come up with 3 delicious plant-based sushi alternatives that will blow your mind! 🙂 One of them is this scrumptious Sweet Potato Tempura Roll. Filled with delicious vegan cream cheese, crunchy veggies and sweet potato tempura, the creamy avocado layers on the outside is what’s really taking this roll to the next level. This Sweet Potato Tempura Roll is so easy to make and has quickly become one of my absolute favorites as it’s full of delicious flavor and texture. I’ve been making this gem a few times by now and simply can’t get enough of it – so I’m sure you’ll love it, too! 🙂 Plus, they just fit perfectly within my plant-based sushi experimentation that resulted in 3 delicious recipes like this Eggplant Dragon Roll or this ‘Tuna’ Nigiri.
The step that always takes to most time when making sushi at home is the preparation. Cooking and seasoning the rice (then letting it cool down), preparing the veggie fillings and organizing everything nice and neatly for when you actually start rolling. To make this less time-intensive I highly recommend purchasing a rice cooker. Just makes that step so much easier. Wash the rise, add the water, press one button, add seasoning and voila. I’m sure if you’re a rice snob there are vast differences in quality but honestly any cheap rice cooker from your closest appliance store will do!
If you decide to give this Sweet Potato Tempura Roll a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk so I can share your remakes on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 100g black jasmine rice
- 100g sushi rice
- 350ml water
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
Sweet potato tempura:
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 avocado (1/2 for filling - ½ for coating)
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- Cook your sushi rice according to instructions on the package and let cool down.
- Slice the sweet potato into strips. Preheat your oven to 175° (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In one bowl, combine breadcrumbs, flour, spices and salt and whisk together. In another bowl, place the milk. Dip each strip into the milk, then breadcrumb mixture, then milk and again breadcrumb mixture and then transfer onto the baking sheet. Place in the oven bake at 175° (350°F) for 30 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Prepare the veggies for the filling. Slice the avocado thinly and cut the carrot and cucumber in slices.
- Take half a nori sheet and place it on a bamboo mat. Place ½ cup of the sushi rice on top and gently press down (wet your hands for easier handling). Carefully turn the nori sheet around so the empty side looks up. Add the filling ingredients (carrot, cucumber, sweet potato, cream cheese) and use the bamboo mat to roll up the sushi roll.
- Take the avocado slices and spread it on top of the sushi roll. Use a piece of plastic film to cover the roll. Use the bamboo mat to gently press the avocado in shape, then remove plastic foil and cut into slices.