I recently got inspired to make this Vegetable Flatbread Tarte after my visit to Villa Vegana in Spain! They had made something similar and it tasted so good and seemed easy to make that I just had to make my own version! The great thing is that for this Vegetable Flatbread Tarte you’ll only need 10 basic ingredients, 30 minutes of your time and no special skills. It really is the perfect quick and easy, yet delicious lunch, dinner or brunch option!Essentially this recipe is very customizable. It’s loaded with veggies which can be changed or adjusted depending on what you have at home. I went for bell peppers, zucchini and spinach, but I’d imagine mushrooms, eggplant or any other veggie that’s easy to cook will fit great as well! Or you go even simpler and just use onion, garlic and a bunch of cherry tomatoes!
Options are endless as you’ll see. The dough is super simple and healthy, made with whole wheat flour, oil, water and spices. If you want to go for a gluten-free version, I’d recommend a gluten-free all-purpose mix but I imagine you’ll need 2-3 Tbsp more flour because it’s not as dense.
I’ve quickly whipped up a vegan tzatziki to serve on top which I got from this recipe. It’s so simple and such a nice addition to this recipe.
In any case, if you decide to give this Vegetable Flatbread Tarte a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing and sharing what you come up with.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp Italian herbs
- ½ cup sparkling water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 3 peppers, diced (red, yellow, green)
- ½ small zucchini, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups (100g) baby spinach
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- handful of roasted pine nuts
- Place the flour, herbs and salt in a bowl and whisk through. Add the sparkling water and oil and knead into a ball. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over high heat. Add in your onions and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown. Add in the zucchini, bell peppers and garlic and cook another 3-4 minutes until soft. Add herbs, salt and pepper and baby spinach and cook another 3-5 minutes until the veggies are properly soft and all liquids have evaporated (this is important otherwise your crust with be soft).
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and use a rolling pin to spread the dough evenly on top. Use your fingers to create a slightly higher crust on the sides and preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Place the veggies on top and spread evenly over the flatbread dough. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the flatbread is crispy. Take out of the oven and let cool down slightly before adding roasted pine nuts and serving.
What is the white cream you put on last?
Vegan tzatziki from my Mushroom shawarma recipe 🙂