This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is not only vegan but so moist and rich on the inside, it might just become your new go-to chocolate cake! 🙂 It is honestly one of the easiest cakes to make and it was completely devoured within seconds at my co-working space by all the non-vegan folk (always a good sign)! The added zucchini gives it more moisture than usual and the addition of vegan yogurt makes it extra soft! This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is definitely a keeper!
If you have never experimented with zucchini or vegetables in general in your desserts – you’re missing out! I have several recipes including one (or several veggies) so make sure to check them out:
I’ve used a simple chocolate coating to top the cake but feel free to apply any kind of favorite frosting/ganache you have! Personally I loved it with the simple coating as it added a nice crunch to balance the softness of the cake.
If you decide to give this Chocolate Zucchini Cake a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 2 cups spelt flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 1.5 Tbsp espresso powder (or 1 tsp cinnamon)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.7oz (20g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, finely shredded
- 1 cup vegan yogurt/pumpkin puree/apple sauce/mashed banana
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3.5oz (100g) dark chocolate
- Place the 7 dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine. Place the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk together. Combine wet with dry ingredients with a spatula until you have a smooth mixture (don’t over mix).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Scoop the batter into the pan and carefully even out with a spoon.
- Place in the oven for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool down completely.
- Melt your chocolate over a water bath and spread over the cake, let cool down completely until the chocolate is firm before slicing.