Spaghetti Bolognese – such a classic! Possibly one of my favorite pasta dishes, next to this Creamy Mushroom Spinach Pasta! I can’t believe it took me so long to write down the recipe for this Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese but I’ve been fine-tuning it for many months now and I’m finally satisfied with the result! 🙂 It’s jam-packed with flavor, full of nutrients and – oh so tasty! Plus, it’s super easy and quick to make yet incredibly delicious.
Instead of the usual minced meat I’ve used a combination of tofu, walnuts, pine nuts and mushrooms – which not only makes it very tasty but actually healthy! To make it even healthier, I’ve used spelt spaghetti but feel free to use any kind of pasta that you like or have at home!
This Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese has become such a staple in our household, I cook it almost every week. Now, if you’re not a friend of alcohol in cooking, just leave it out – but honestly it brings a great flavor so I highly recommend adding it.
If you decide to give this Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 14oz (400g) spaghetti
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp (60ml) olive oil
- 14oz (400g) tofu
- 4-5 mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup (63g) walnuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup (45g) pine nuts, roasted
- ⅓ cup (75g) tomato paste
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- ⅔ cup (200ml) red wine
- 29oz (800g) tomato passata
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 cup (45g) fresh basil, chopped
- fresh basil
- vegan parmesan
- Prepare the spaghetti according to the instructions on the box. Once cooked, drizzle with a little olive oil so they won’t be sticky and set aside.
- In the meantime, place the olive oil in a large sauce pan over high heat. Add the onions and fry until golden brown. Add in the garlic and fry another 1-2 minutes.
- Use your hands to break the tofu apart into small crumbles and add to the pan. Use a large spoon to combine and fry everything for 2 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, walnuts, carrot and dried oregano and combine. Let cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture turns golden brown, then mix in the tomato paste.
- Slowly add in the red wine and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes until the liquid has evaporated, then add in the passata, salt, pepper and paprika powder and combine. Let the mixture cook for another 5 minutes, then add in the roasted pine nuts and basil.
- Lastly, add in the spaghetti and mix well. Serve with vegan parmesan and more fresh basil.