This Eggplant Tofu Curry is my newest obsession! The perfect combination of heavenly spiced creamy sauce, juicy eggplant pieces and deliciously fried tofu. Usually I’m deep set on Red or Massaman Curry but this Eggplant Tofu Curry just immediately won me over with its stunning spice blend and flavors. Although I’m not the biggest fan of fennel as a whole, I’m loving the addition of fennel seeds to this one!
I’m always looking for fun ways to eat more eggplant as I’m obsessed with the taste and texture of its ‘meat’ and this curry hits the nail! The trick for the perfect texture is to first bake the eggplant to remove some initial moisture and then continue to cook it until mushy.
If you decide to give this Eggplant Tofu Curry a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1-2 Tbsp (20ml) olive oil, for brushing
- pinch of rough salt
- 14oz (400g) tofu, diced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sunflower oil
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 1.5 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 green chili pepper, diced
- 14oz (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- fresh coriander, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread the eggplant cubes on it, brush with olive oil and sprinkle rough salt on top. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan over medium-high heat and fry the tofu cubes on all sides until golden brown for 3-4 minutes, then take off the heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion until golden, the add the garlic, ginger, chili and sauté another minute. Scrape aside and add the fennel and coriander seeds and fry a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, water and eggplants and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the fried tofu and cook another 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and fresh coriander for serving and enjoy with your favorite rice.