I’ve just recently jumped on the aquafaba bandwagon and have been wildly experimenting with this magic liquid! One of the many recipe results is this gorgeous 4-ingredients Aquafaba Chocolate Coffee Mousse! 🙂 This has got to be my new favorite dessert! It’s perfect – just in time for the holiday but also really just anytime of the year! This delicious fluffy dessert is not only completely vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and refined sugar-free but also super easy to make! All you’ll need is 3-4 basic ingredients and you’re ready to got!
If you’re reading this and have absolutely no idea what special ingredient aquafaba is supposed to be, don’t worry! You probably know it just not under that particular name! So what is aquafaba? Very simply put – it’s chickpea brine! You know that liquid that we usually just pour down the drain when we drain canned chickpeas? THAT’S aquafaba aka liquid gold! 😀
I’m not even kidding, this liquid can do magic! What happens is that if you beat the liquid long enough with a stand or electric hand mixer it will form white peaks and start looking and behaving a lot like egg whites. Just that it’s vegan. Hello macarons, meringues and fluffy Aquafaba Chocolate Coffee Mousse! 🙂 The uses are endless and it’s really fun to experiment with.
There are a few simple guidelines on how to successfully handle aquafaba. Firstly, it usually only work with unsalted chickpea brine. I’ve tried different brand (cans and cartons) with only 2 ingredients: chickpeas and water – and it worked great every time. Depending on the brand it will need more or less beating time until it gets totally fluffy but you just gotta be patient. The good thing is that you can’t over beat aquafaba! 🙂 Secondly, I’ve found that it works the best if you chill your aquafaba and glass bowl for 15 minutes in the fridge before you start beating it up.
Apart from that, this Aquafaba Chocolate Coffee Mousse is really just as easy as pie! Beat up the aquafaba, add in some sweetness and flavor (I went for coffee as it works amazing with the chocolate), pour in some melted chocolate, combine everything, chill in the fridge for an hour and voilà!
If you decide to give this Aquafaba Chocolate Coffee Mousse a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- Place a sieve over a medium sized glass bowl and drain your canned chickpeas. Measure ½ cup of aquafaba and place it into the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt your dark chocolate in a water bath and set aside to cool down to room temperature.
- Take the bowl with aquafaba out of the fridge and use a stand or electric hand mixer to beat the aquafaba on high until stiff peaks form. This can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes (good thing: you can’t over beat aquafaba so better do it a bit longer).
- Add in the maple syrup and coffee extract and continue beating for another 1-2 minutes. You know it’s done when you turn the bowl upside down and the aquafaba stays in place (see video).
- Pour the cooled down melted chocolate into your aquafaba mix and carefully use a spatula to combine (don’t use the mixer or you’ll loose all the fluffiness).
- Spoon the chocolate mousse into 4 small serving bowls and place into the fridge for at least 1 hour (for extra firm results better 3-4 hours).
- Top with coconut whipped cream, chocolate shavings and berries and serve!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust. This is a great and easy way to support me, without spending extra money and I would be eternally grateful for your help!