Despite the fact that it’s still 27°C and sunny here in Cyprus I’ve been enjoying all those fall flavors this past week! Fall is possibly my favorite season food-wise – I just love the spices, pumpkin, squashes, chai lattes, apples, chestnuts and so on. You know what’s another favorite of mine? Maple! Maple is probably the number one reason I want to visit Canada because I just can’t get enough of it, which is exactly the reason behind these delicious Chai Maple Donuts. They are everything I want right now: from warm fluffy dough, to flavorful spices and a sweet maple glaze! 🙂
I’ve only started getting into the healthy donuts game this year when I created these Vegan Donuts, and oh boy, there’s just so much potential for flavors! While they’re not the most healthy donuts on this planet, they’re quite on the healthy-ish side, meaning they’re not fried, gluten-free and only the glaze contains refined sugars!
When it comes to baking donuts, the most crucial thing to guarantee success is to have the right donut pan. I’ve tried several silicone pans and they just didn’t come out as fluffy and airy, plus it was kind of a struggle to remove them. Hence I really recommend investing those $10 into a high quality non-stick donut pan that will last you a lifetime. They’re available for 6 or 12 donuts and you can find them here!
From the inside they’re perfectly moist and fluffy with a generous spice explosion, and will give you a gentle sweet maple sensations with a refreshing glaze, juicy pomegranate seeds and crunchy pecan pieces. Do I need to say more? Just try them!
While these babies are not oil-free you could easily make them by simply replacing the oil with apple sauce, mashed banana or pumpkin (to keep the theme)! They go perfectly with your homemade chai or pumpkin latte or really just any other tea and coffee! You could even take it one step further and add some more spices to the glaze (cinnamon maple glaze helloooo)! 🙂
If you decide to give these Chai Maple Donuts a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 1 cup oat flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (for oil-free version use apple sauce/banana)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nut meg
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsps maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp almond milk/water
- Pomegranate seeds
- Crushed pecan nuts
- Pour the maple syrup, coconut oil, almond milk and spices into a medium-sized bowl and whisk together. Add in the flour, corn starch, baking powder and baking soda and mix together (be careful not to over mix).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a non-stick donut tin.
- Use a tsp or piping bag to fill each place in the donut tin until it's ¾ full. Even out the surface with our fingers and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze by simply whisking all ingredients together.
- Once ready, take the donuts and place them onto a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Dip each donut into the glaze and place back onto the rack. Add pomegranate seeds and pecan pieces on top and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust. This is a great and easy way to support me, without spending extra money and I would be eternally grateful for your help!