As an avid potato lover I’m always trying to find new ways to integrate this amazing vegetable into my diet and these vegan Chipotle Potato Balls hit all the marks! They’re crunchy on the outside, with a beautifully soft potato dough and melted vegan cheese on the inside! They really are just the perfect appetizer, or side dish to any main course! You could even make them gluten-free by using a gf flour blend and gf breadcrumbs if you can find those! 🙂
Regarding the melted cheese core, if you live in a country or area where vegan cheese is not as readily available, you could simply make your own stretchy cashew cheese from this recipe!
In case you can’t find a vegan chipotle sauce that’s egg-free, you could also easily make your own (Minimalist Baker has a great recipe) or simply replace it with mustard/mayo or your favorite spices!
If you decide to give these Chipotle Potato Balls a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 7 medium Yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter (or olive oil)
- 3 Tbsp vegan chipotle sauce
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup vegan shredded cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add in the potatoes and cook them until soft. Then drain the water, place them into a large bowl and mash together until smooth.
- Add in the butter, chipotle sauce, parsley, paprika powder and salt and pepper, and combine everything with a spatula. Add in the flour and mix again.
- Take a Tbsp of potato dough at a time, roll into a ball with your hands and form a small whole in the middle. Fill in vegan cheese, bring up the sides and shape into a ball again. Repeat until the dough is gone.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll each potato ball in breadcrumbs until covered, then place them onto the baking tray (at this point you can spray them with oil to make them extra crispy)
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until crispy. Alternatively you can pan-fry them.
- Let cool down a little and enjoy!